Sleep is important. Really important. So, if you’re waking up tired, then you may not be getting the refreshing slumber you need to function or thrive. But, with high-caliber sleep medicine in Sacramento, CA, you can get the all-to-important sleep that you need.
Dr. Timothy E. Mickiewicz is an experienced sleep expert located in Sacramento, CA. His extensive knowledge and training allow him to help patients get the invigorating sleep they need for a happy and fulfilling life.
If you’re ready to see why our patients love seeing Dr. Mickiewicz, then schedule your appointment today. New and existing patients can easily reach our team online here, or they may call our Sacramento sleep center at (916) 469-9178.
Meanwhile, let our team explore sleep quality, sleep medicine, and how a sleep dentist can help you get adequate rest every night. You may find that simple solutions can make a major impact on the quality and quantity of restful slumber.
What is sleep medicine?
Sleep medicine is a field of science that studies, diagnoses, and treats sleep disorders or conditions, such as snoring or sleep apnea. In many cases, patients are unaware that they should see a sleep specialist (particularly a dentist) for sleep issues. But, untreated sleep disorders can lead to significant systemic health conditions.
A sleep specialist is uniquely trained to spot even the most subtle signs of sleep disorders. So, regularly visiting a dentist specializing in sleep medicine may be your first defense against rapidly-advancing sleep disorders and systemic issues.
If you suspect that you might be suffering from a sleep-related disorder, then contact Dr.
Mickiewicz for safe and effective sleep medicine in Sacramento, CA.
What conditions can sleep medicine diagnose?
Dr. Mickiewicz’s advanced training allows him to address several sleep-related issues, such as:
- Bruxism (teeth grinding)
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Nighttime cramping and discomfort (like leg cramps or restlessness)
How do I know if I have a sleep disorder?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 70 million people in the United States have some type of sleep disorder. With such a staggering figure, it is easy to assume that these individuals are getting the care they need with a trusted sleep specialist.
However, many patients are completely unaware that they have a sleep disorder. Nevertheless, there are some tell-tale signs that you might be living with a sleep condition, including:
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Jolting awake throughout the night
- Gasping for air upon waking
- Waking up tired
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Persistent yawning
- Jaw pain, headaches, or neck and back pain, especially in the morning
- Chest pains or shortness of breath
How can a sleep dentist treat sleep disorders?
Depending on the disorder, Dr. Mickiewicz can formulate treatment plans and recommend medications to improve the quality of his patients’ sleep. Treatments and medications may include:
- Keeping a sleep journal: Initially, it may be hard for you and Dr. Mickiewicz to pinpoint the cause or the extent of a sleep disorder. So, when it comes to getting great sleep medicine in Sacramento, CA, the best place to start is with a sleep journal. Keeping tabs on your sleep quality can help our team locate areas of dysfunction and disorder, which can help us recommend the best treatment options for you.
- A sleep study: Dr. Mickiewicz may suggest an in-depth sleep study at a trusted and experienced sleep clinic. Sleep studies gather useful information about the bodily processes that are affected by disordered sleep. Subsequently, our team can use the information collected during the study to diagnose sleep disorders, as well as strategize and personalize a patient’s treatment.
- Wearing an oral appliance: Teeth grinding can place upwards of 200 pounds of pressure on the teeth every night for hours on end. As a result, tooth enamel can wear down extremely quickly, which can lead to increased cavity rates and oral and systemic health issues. Additionally, sleeping can move the jaw into improper alignment, causing jaw pain and dysfunction (not to mention snoring and obstructive sleep apnea). A personalized oral appliance combats these issues by protecting the teeth from damage, positioning the jaw into better alignment, and limiting the risk of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea.
- Trigger-point injections: Prolonged jaw dysfunction while sleeping can lead to painful temporomandibular joint disorders (TMDs). For many patients, TMDs result in overly tense jaw muscles that struggle to relax upon waking. Trigger point injections use saline, corticosteroids, or local anesthesia to alleviate pain and promote healthy, relaxed jaw muscles. These injections are also a fantastic option for patients who suffer from chronic headaches or migraines.
- Physical therapy: Dr. Mickiewicz may recommend physical therapy with a trained professional to address sleep-related TMDs. A physical therapist specializing in sleep medicine can address several issues at once, including jaw joint movement, soft tissue health, and spine misalignments that may be influencing a patient’s sleep quality.
- Medications: Our Sacramento sleep dentist may suggest medications in combination with other treatment methods to amplify their success. For example, Dr. Mickiewicz may recommend medications like painkillers, muscle relaxants, and antidepressants to limit discomfort and enhance nighttime relaxation.
What happens if I don’t treat a sleep disorder?
Research suggests that prolonged, impaired sleep can lead to a host of physical and mental health conditions, such as:
- Anxiety and depression
- Chronic fatigue
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heart disease
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Erectile dysfunction and low libido
If left untreated, sleep disorders can lead to or worsen all of these conditions. And, once these conditions reach a tipping point, patients may need multiple medications and treatments to address or correct them.
Therefore, patients may spend more time and money fixing serious health issues that can take years off their lives if they leave sleep disorders untreated. So, if you think that you might be suffering from a sleep condition, then don’t delay–seek exceptional sleep medicine in Sacramento, CA immediately.
Ask Us about Sleep Medicine in Sacramento, CA
You deserve healthy, restful sleep that enhances your mind, body, and soul. Get the peaceful rest you need and deserve with high-caliber sleep medicine in Sacramento, CA. Dr. Mickiewicz and his compassionate team are ready to help. Call (916) 469-9178 or message our team online here to get started.