In 2017, Dr. Timothy Mickiewicz was named “The Face of TMJ Therapy” by Sacramento Magazine. His passion for healing his patients driven him to complete extensive education and research on this topic. Because of that drive, he has become one of the leading educators in the dental field—giving lectured on his most passionate topics: TMD, sleep medicine, and orthodontics.
If you or a loved one is suffering with temporomandibular joint disorder, our Sacramento, CA office is the place for you! Is TMD is interfering with your ability to eat, drink, and talk? Give us a call today at 916-469-9178 or visit our website to see how we can help relieve your pain.
Not sure if you have temporomandibular joint disorder? Here are some common symptoms:
- Chronic headaches
- Pain in the neck, face, jaw, shoulders, and lower back
- Limited jaw motion
- Difficulty chewing food
- Clicking and locking of jaw joints
- Chronic ringing in ears
These symptoms can get worse if they aren’t treated. Don’t hesitate to get the help you need today.
Treatments for TMD
Depending on the severity of your symptoms and medical history, Dr. Mick will create a personalized plan to treat your disorder. The treatment options could be any of the following:
- Oral appliance: Also called a bite guard or a bite plate, this appliance will support correct alignment of the jaw and help stop teeth grinding or clenching that can cause unwanted pressure on your jaw. These are generally worn for 24 hours a day; night guards may be recommended as well.
- Trigger point injections: Used in the treatment of chronic headaches and migraines, TPI is also helpful in treating TMD. In this treatment, small amounts of anesthetics or anti-inflammatory medications are administered into the inflamed muscles that are causing pain. Although this treatment takes more than one session, it is extremely beneficial for those suffering from debilitating pain.
- Physical Therapy: With physical therapy, many patients have felt relief from their TMJ disorder. These movements can help strengthen and relax the jaw muscles, increase jaw mobility, reduce jaw clicking, and promote jaw healing. Dr. Mick can walk you through helpful exercises you can perform at home.
- Medication: To help manage severe pain and ease symptoms, medications may be prescribed along with other measures of treatment.
At Home Care
While waiting to visit with your Sacramento orthodontist, there are a few things you can do at home to help temporarily relieve jaw pain. For example:
- Use relaxation techniques such as meditation
- Apply ice to the inflamed muscles
- Eat softer foods
- Avoid grinding teeth
- Chew food evenly on both sides of the mouth
- Avoid chewing gum
- Avoid biting nails
- Take over the counter pain medicines such as ibuprofen
It’s important to remember that these things are a temporary fix for people with severe TMJ disorder and avoiding professional treatment may result in worsening symptoms.
Contact Us Today
Everyday tasks like eating, drinking, and talking shouldn’t be uncomfortable or painful for anyone. Relief is just a phone call away! Dr. Mick and his team are equipped and ready to help you find relief from your temporomandibular disorder by creating a treatment plan specifically for you. Request an appointment on our website or call us today at 916-469-9178 to find the relief you’ve been hoping for.